Monday 28 October 2013

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

...but the fire is so delightful!  (And, NO!  I will not sing Dean Martin.)

Well, the storm came and went.  But with the weather, my health and laziness, I have done nothing today.  Well, took delivery of a new laser printer and the debut CD by Sand, but nothing much else.  Thus I'm at a bit of a loose end as to what to write about.

I'm about a week into round one of chemo, this is where things can get a bit tough.  My drug regime is a three week cycle, on day one it's IV drugs then tablets until the three weeks are up.  The low point is about a week to 10 days after infusion, which is about now.  I'm fine.  Heck, out the blue an offer to see Camel tonight came up, I'm well enough to go but didn't have enough warning.  But, here's the thing.  I'm staying in doing nothing because it is prudent.

But, here's a problem.  What do I write about?  Cue, to the rescue, cousin Zephyr.  With Lou Reed departing this mortal coil and going to join the choir invisible, how about the greatest dead rock band?  

The what, you ask?  The greatest dead rock band!  Which is odd given my love of live music.  Basically, a bad where all the members are dead.  Or rather, a bad made up of musicians who have passed.  Basically, if I die I want the best jam session available in Heaven when I get there.  Not an easy task, but bear with me whilst I build my band.

One choice was easy, one and one alone.  Bassist.  To quote Highlander, "there can be only one."  Some call him the greatest player of all time, that may not universally agreed but he was a player.  The late and certainly great, Jaco Pastorius.


Weather Report with Jaco on bass.  Just let that wash over you.  My dear and old friend, the award winning composer Lester Barnes visited Jaco's grave recently.  So easy, easy choice.

Now, behind that, drums.  Who to have?  As a big prog fan, not that some of you would have known, whoever I choose has to be stunning.  Basically, the short list is Keith Moon (hellraiser, unreliable), John Bonham (odd, I'm not a Zeppelin fan, so he's out), Gene Krupa or Buddy Rich.  I include Krupa for one very good reason, aside from being a brilliant player, I can post this.



Yep, Apollo 440's Krupa, I like it, but it's not the winner.  Nope, that has to be the man who even Rush Neil Peart admires.  Buddy Rich.  Why, you ask?  Watch this.  But before you do, note he's wearing a dinner jacket with a waistcoat, a bow tie that is done up on a collar that is buttoned up.  Don't forget the collars with cuff links.  Beat that!


Now that impresses me!  That is playing you'd never get on the X-Factor.  Simon Cowell has so much to answer for,

When it came to guitar I realised this was another no brainer.  Zappa?  Well, there was a maverick genius if ever I heard one.  Scary thought, Zappa died in 1993!  Jeff Hanneman, formerly of Slayer.  Nah, to brash.  It has to be the man I always regard as the greatest guitarist of all time.  More grace, touch, style and ability than almost anyone.  Django Rheinhardt.  Get your lug holes round this and agree with me.


Still astounds me.  That is how you play.  Superb.

Keyboard, Manzarek or Lord?  I would go for Jon Lord, big player, big sound, but maybe a little too bombastic  But Manzarek, well he was in The Doors.  Melody, feel and touch.  Hey, you tell me I'm wrong.



So that leaves me with a singer.  I want a girl.  I want blues.  I want Janis Joplin.


Hey - you don't like?   Then let's hear your band of the departed.

Jym

Oh, and in hospital tomorrow.  Back to the medical stuff then.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm.... I think there are enough departed musicians to make up several bands! I guess I would want Rick Wright in there on keys. But I'd like Stevie Ray Vaughan along with Hendrix and don't think their styles would be compatible with Mr Wright. I'd love Joplin too. What a voice she had. But quite conversely I'd rather like Karen Carpenter - who is the complete opposite to Janis. Billy Holliday would have to make an appearance too. And as far as male vocals - well Jim Morrison. OK, a bit obvious, but I would have loved to have seen him perform when he was in his prime - before the booze and drugs addled his performance. And George Harrison and John Lennon would be welcome.

    Drums - Moony and Bonham definitely. I'm sure I could make another band with the old blues greats alone. Oh dear - decisions, decisions.

    Hope all goes well in hospital.

    ReplyDelete